Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology
Oral Medicine and Radiology is a unique speciality encompassing two branches of dentistry. Oral medicine is that area of special competence concerned with the health of the oral and para-oral structures. In particular, it deals with the diagnosis and management of oral precancer and cancer as well as management of oral conditions in patients with medically compromised conditions and behavioural disorders. Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology is concerned with imaging and interpretation of maxillofacial pathologies and the department is keeping pace with the ever-evolving branch of dentistry.
- To foster the development of dental graduates with adequate knowledge, necessary skills and reasonable attitudes which are required for prevention,diagnosis and treatment of Dental and Maxillofacial diseases.
- To develop an aptitude for research and update the students with latest diagnostic approaches.
- To encourage clinical application of evidence based therapeutic approaches.
- To instil a sense of community service amongst students.
- Undergraduate training for BDS degree. A mentorship system is followed at the undergraduate level.
- Post graduate training for MDS degree with intake of 3 seats per year .
- Recognised centre for pursuing PhD under Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
SERVICES OFFERED BY THE DEPARTMENT:
- CBCT imaging
- 2D ultrasonography
- Digital panoramic radiography
- Digital skull radiography and hand wrist radiography
- Digital intraoral periapical radiography
- Conventional intraoral periapical and occlusal radiography.
- Tobacco cessation centre
The department has a functional tobacco cessation centre wherein the patients with the habit of tobacco usage are provided guidance and assistance to quit the habit of tobacco usage.
- Chairside investigations for precancerous lesions of oral cavity
- TENS therapy services, a physiotherapy modality for joint and muscle pain in the head and neck region, is available in the department.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DEPARTMENT :
The departmental staff have been regularly visiting foreign universities viz Showa University School of dentistry, Tokyo Dental College, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Niigata University School of dentistry for updating their knowledge in recent advances of head and neck imaging.
The hall mark feature of the department is the exposure of undergraduate students to the CBCT image acquisition and reporting which makes the subject more interesting. Undergraduate students are also encouraged to take up research in their internship period and they are motivated to present the research findings in conferences and also publish the same in peer reviewed journals.
Department encourages the students to take part in tobacco cessation counselling sessions to tobacco users which is an important part of social initiatives of the institution.
The department has collaborations with various tertiary referral centres in Bangalore viz St John’s Medical College and Hospital, Sagar hospitals and HCG cancer hospital for training of post graduates in basic general medicine, general surgery, ENT, and dermatology.
The department actively engages in research projects and has also obtained grants from reputed organizations. The research activities of the department have translated into several national and international publications.