Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology
Oral Medicine and Radiology is a unique speciality encompassing two branches of dentistry. Oral medicine is that area of special competence concerned with the health of the oral and para-oral structures. In particular, it deals with the diagnosis and management of oral precancer and cancer as well as management of oral conditions in patients with medically compromised conditions and behavioural disorders. Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology is concerned with imaging and interpretation of maxillofacial pathologies and the department is keeping pace with this ever evolving branch of dentistry.
- To foster the development of dental graduates with adequate knowledge, necessary skills and reasonable attitudes which are required for prevention, diagnosis and treatment of Dental and Maxillofacial diseases
- To develop an aptitude for research and update the students with latest diagnostic approaches.
- To encourage clinical application of evidence based therapeutic measures.
- To instil a sense of community service amongst students.
- Undergraduate training for BDS degree
- Post graduate training for MDS degree
- Recognised centre for pursuing PhD under Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
The department comprises of four dedicated faculty.
Dr Asha R Iyengar , Professor and Principal is the longest serving and most experienced faculty of the department with over 28 years of experience in the field. She has held key positions in various organisations of the speciality at the national and international level. Her areas of interest includes role of ultrasonography in head and neck region and salivary biomarkers.
Dr Seema Patil, Professor, has 14 years of experience in the field and currently heads the department. She has undergone training in Radiology at Showa University, Japan. She is keen on pursuing research on the role of molecular biomarkers in precancer and evaluation of anatomical variations on CBCT.