Oral Medicine and Radiology is a unique speciality encompassing two branches of dentistry. Oral medicine is that area of special competence concerned with the health of the oral and para-oral structures. In particular, it deals with the diagnosis and management of oral precancer and cancer as well as management of oral conditions in patients with medically compromised conditions and behavioural disorders. Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology is concerned with imaging and interpretation of maxillofacial pathologies and the department is keeping pace with the ever-evolving branch of dentistry.
- To foster the development of dental graduates with adequate knowledge, necessary skills and reasonable attitudes which are required for prevention,diagnosis and treatment of Dental and Maxillofacial diseases.
- To develop an aptitude for research and update the students with latest diagnostic approaches.
- To encourage clinical application of evidence based therapeutic approaches.
- To instil a sense of community service amongst students.
- Undergraduate training for BDS degree. A mentorship system is followed at the undergraduate level.
- Postgraduate training for MDS degree with an intake of 3 seats per year.
- Recognized center for pursuing Ph.D. under Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
- CBCT imaging
- 2D ultrasonography
- Digital panoramic radiography
- Digital skull radiography and hand wrist radiography
- Digital intraoral periapical radiography
- Conventional intraoral periapical and occlusal radiography.
- Oral Medicine
Tobacco cessation center
The department has a functional tobacco cessation center wherein the patients with the habit of tobacco usage are provided guidance and assistance to quit the habit of tobacco usage.
Chairside investigations for precancerous lesions of the oral cavity TENS therapy services, a physiotherapy modality for joint and muscle pain in the head and neck region, is available in the department.
The departmental staff has been regularly visiting foreign universities viz Showa University School of dentistry, Tokyo Dental College, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Niigata University School of dentistry for updating their knowledge in recent advances in head and neck imaging.
The hallmark feature of the department is the exposure of undergraduate students to the CBCT image acquisition and reporting which makes the subject more interesting. Undergraduate students are also encouraged to take up research in their internship period and they are motivated to present the research findings in conferences and also publish the same in peer-reviewed journals.
Department encourages the students to take part in tobacco cessation counseling sessions to tobacco users which is an important part of the social initiatives of the institution.
The department has collaborations with various tertiary referral centers in Bangalore viz St John’s Medical College and Hospital, Sagar Hospitals, and HCG cancer hospital for training of postgraduates in basic general medicine, general surgery, ENT, and dermatology.
The department actively engages in research projects and has also obtained grants from reputed organizations. The research activities of the department have been translated into several national and international publications.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is a speciality of dentistry that deals with Diagnosis and Management of Diseases of Oral and Maxillofacial region (The Face, Jaw and Neck areas). An Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon specializes in the Identification and Clinical diagnosis of the diseases pertaining to the head and Neck region using various radiological and laboratory investigations.
Since its inception in the year 1992, the Department has contributed in imparting theoretical and practical knowledge to the Undergraduates and Postgraduates in the field of Oral Anatomy, Exodontia, Minor Oral surgical procedures, Facial trauma, Head and Neck pathologies, Dental implants and Orthognathic surgeries (Facial cosmetic surgery). The Department faculties who are involved in teaching, guiding and mentoring students use various comprehensive teaching aides such as: Videos, charts, Models, Smart boards and Power point presentations. Chair side demonstration of various clinical procedures is also given to the students.
- Laser Unit
- Ultrasonic Bone Surgery Unit
- Cryosurgery Unit
- Dental Implant Units – ( Includes Physiodispenser, Direct & Indirect Sinus Lift Kits)
- Oscillating Saw System for Orthognathic Surgeries.
- Surgical Diathermy and Cautery Units
- Oxygenator and Defribillator machines
- Lab Centrifuge for PRP & PRF preparation
Teaching Programmes offered
Undergraduate teaching program:
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgery: Theory and Clinicals for III and IV BDS – Imparting skills on –
- Extracting detailed medical history of the patient.
- Arriving at an accurate Clinical diagnosis using Radiological and Laboratory Investigations.
- Performing Extractions and Minor surgical procedures efficiently under the guidance of the well-trained faculties.
- Knowledge on Sterilization, Disinfection and Infection Control Protocols.
- Management of Medical Emergencies on the Dental Chair.
A mentorship system is followed at the undergraduate level.
Postgraduate teaching program:
- Master of Dental Surgery was started in the year 2003 with the admission of 2 seats per year which includes –
- Training of Post-graduate students in assisting and performing various minor oral surgeries and major maxillofacial procedures.
- Postings at Accident and Emergency Department in the associated Hospital for handling cases of trauma and complex facial injuries.
- Postings at Anaesthesia Department in Fortis Hospitals for imparting basic knowledge on Local and General Anaesthesia .
- Peripheral postings at Kidwai Cancer Hospital for training in Head & Neck Surgical Oncology and at Bhagawan Mahaveer Jain Hospitals for observation and training in Cleft lip & palate repair surgeries.
Implant certificate course:
- In the year 2008, department received the ‘Certificate Course in Oral Implantology’ under the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences with the admission of 2 seats per year.
- The students are trained for –
- Accurate Patient selection
- Basic knowledge on the various components of Oral Implantology and its usage.
- Clinical assessment, Radiographic interpretation and planning for Implant placement.
We are specialised in treating the below mentioned procedures –
|MINOR SURGICAL PROCEDURES||MAJOR SURGICAL PROCEDURES|
Wisdom tooth surgery
Complex Maxillofacial fractures
Facial space infections
Temporomandibular Joint disorders
Cleft Lip and Palate Repair
Dedicated faculty which has yielded with students getting multiple Distinctions, Ranks and Gold medals in both Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses.
An excellent and well maintained departmental library consisting of various standard textbooks, Journals, Surgical atlases and Informative CDs is also present.
A well- equipped Minor Oral Surgery and Implant Clinics for training Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Certificate course in oral implantology students.
CO2 Laser for Soft tissue Procedures
Laser assisted Surgeries
Faculty , Postgraduates and Group D staff ( HOD cabin)
Physiodispensor at Implant Clinic
Piezosurgery Unit for Minor Oral Surgeries
Recovery Room for Patients
Patient Waiting Area in Undergraduate Clinic
Prosthodontics is the speciality of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis, treatment planning, rehabilitation and maintenance of the oral function, comfort, appearance and health of patients with clinical conditions associated with missing or deficient teeth and/or oral and maxillofacial tissues using biocompatible substitutes.
Since its inception in the year 1992, the department has moved forward progressively in all domains of teaching, learning, research and patient treatment/care.
The department has separate Clinical areas for UG & PG students and a modern state of the art fully equipped Pre- Clinical Laboratory, casting/ceramic lab and clinical lab.
The department also fulfils all the requirements for the maintenance of infection control. The department has the most up-to-date equipments and instruments to cater to advanced student training and to the various types of treatment modalities for patient satisfaction.
The curriculum is designed such that students go through simulation and bench courses to learn the fundamental skills, and then evolve to more complex cases in the Prosthodontic clinics. Teaching involves the latest techniques in Prosthodontics with comprehensive treatment planning in all aspects of prosthodontic care including geriatric care, Implant Dentistry, Occlusion and Aesthetics. The department is involved in a lot of research activity in collaboration with various scientific centers. We endeavour to constantly improve our teaching techniques/methods.
We strive to let our patients have a unique, holistic, professional experience when they visit our clinics. We are also committed to providing the highest standard of dental care available and fostering long-term relationships with our patients.
The department has a dedicated & motivated Teaching staff. The upgradation of the skills of staff & students is enhanced by organizing various CDE Programmes, symposia, hands-on workshops and other faculty development programs. The department has an impressive pass percentage & university ranks have been obtained by the students through the years.
The students are facilitated with a well equipped Library with text books, Journals, educational charts, demonstration CD’s, display models, chapter wise question bank, previous years question papers & multiple choice question bank. The department conducts various free camps and community extension activities to improve the skill of trainees/students.
Our dept is also a centre for the Dantha Bhagya scheme, instituted by the Govt of Karnataka since July 2015through which patients with BPL card are provided free removable complete and partial denture treatment.
Teaching Programmes offered
- Undergraduate Teaching programmes
- I BDS: Dental Materials
- II BDS: Dental materials, Complete denture Prosthodontics and Pre Clinical
- III BDS: Fixed Prosthodontics, including Implantology, Pre clinical Prosthodontics, Clinical Prosthodontics.
- IV BDS: Removable Prosthodontics, Maxillofacial Prosthodontics, Management of TMJ disorders, Clinical Prosthodontics
A mentorship program is followed at the undergraduate level.
- Postgraduate teaching programmes
The post graduate training (Master of dental surgery- 3 year course) in the speciality of Prosthodontics was started in the year 2003 and there is an intake of 3 PG students every year. The department also has a PG diploma course (2 year course), with an annual intake of one student.
- PhD course
- The department of Prosthodontics received the recognition of the PhD course in 2018, under the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka.
- The department also has a university recognised PhD guide.
- Removable Partial denture
- Complete Denture
- Flexible Partial Denture
- Denture Repair
- Relining & Rebasing
- Crown & Bridge (metal Ni – Cr / porcelain)
- Veneers & Acrylic Jacket Crown
- Dowel crown
- Inlay and onlays
- Splints & Stents
- Maxillofacial Prostheses
- Implant supported complete denture prostheses
- Implant supported crowns
- Full mouth rehabilitation
Rehabilitation of complex cases with dental implants
A dedicated full time faculty contributing to excellent pass percentages, distinctions and university ranks in the UG and PG programs
A well maintained department library with the latest books, journals, etc.
Well equipped dental laboratories (for the UGs and PGs)
Periodic community outreach programs in the form of free dental camps
Home services for the geriatric population
Oral pathology and microbiology is a specialty of dentistry and discipline of pathology that deals with the nature, identification, and management of diseases affecting the oral and maxillofacial regions (the mouth and jaw areas). An oral and maxillofacial pathologist specialises in the clinicopathological correlation of diseases of the head and neck region using various histopathological and laboratory investigations .
Since its inception in the year 1992, the department has endeavoured in imparting knowledge to undergraduates in the subjects of Oral Anatomy, Histology, Physiology & Embryology and Oral Pathology & Microbiology . The department faculty who are involved in teaching, guiding and mentoring the students use a multitude of comprehensive teaching aids, such as PowerPoint presentations, smart boards, models, charts, videos ,microscopic slides and a microscope attached to a CCTV to impart education to the students.
The department is also equipped with a state of the art histopathology /cytopathology laboratory which includes embedding centre, cold plate, soft tissue microtome, hot air oven, ph meter, autoclave, digital balance, stereomicroscope, trinocular microscope with CCTV and camera attachment , antigen retrieval microwave and a pentahead research microscope being the cynosure of the department.
Teaching Programmes offered
Undergraduate teaching programme:
- Oral Anatomy, Histology, Physiology and Embryology ( IBDS )
- Oral Pathology and Microbiology (II and III BDS )
We follow a mentoring system at the undergraduate level with 15 students being mentored by one faculty.
Post graduate Teaching programme:
The postgraduate course (Master of Dental Surgery) was started in the department in the year 2012 with admission of three seats per year.
In 2018, the department received the recognition of the PhD course under the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
We provide several services which include the microscopic interpretation and diagnosis of biopsy tissues and cytology samples from lesions in the oral and paraoral areas using routine and special stains. These services are available to both patients who visit our hospital as well as to private practitioners who can send the samples to us. A list of some of the services offered are as follows :
- Routine (H&E) and Special staining procedures.
- Cytopathological services.
- Immunohistochemical analyses.
- Routine blood, serum and urine investigations are done for patients undergoing dental treatment at our hospital
- Aid in postgraduate dissertation work & research .
- Stereomicroscope facilities
- Research microscope facilities (Bright field ,dark field ,phase contrast ,polarising and fluorescent microscopy ) with image analysis software
- Capturing photomicrographs of histopathological slides for use in case presentations/ paper presentations/poster presentations/publications.
- Other studies feasible in the department also will be undertaken.
State of the art histopathology /cytopathology laboratory with a pentahead research microscope
Dedicated faculty which has yielded with students getting multiple distinctions, ranks and gold medals in both the undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Faculty have guided award winning postgraduate and undergraduate research projects
An excellent ,self sufficient and well maintained libraryconsisting of textbooks and atlases, as well as informative CDs is also present .
The department of Conservative Dentistry, Endodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry is a front runner in postgraduate and under graduate education, spear heading a path for clinical excellence built on a strong foundation of evidence based dentistry. The department infrastructure consists of a built up area of 8113 square feet consisting of UG and PG section.
Conservative dentistry is that branch of Dentistry exclusively concerned with the study, diagnosis and integrated management of diseases of the teeth and their supporting structures and the rehabilitation of teeth to proper function and aesthetic requirements of an individual. Endodontics on the other hand, as the name suggests is that branch of dentistry concerned with the diseases and injuries of the soft tissue inside the tooth (the dental pulp) and the bone surrounding the root tips of teeth.
A specialist in this field deals comprehensively with treating patients and restoring proper form, function, health and aesthetics of hard and soft tissues of teeth and their surrounding structures using state of the art technology, materials and techniques.
In the undergraduate program, students are trained extensively in Dental Materials, Preclinical Operative Dentistry, Conservative Dentistry, Endodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry. Upon entry into the clinics, each student is monitored and guided by highly accomplished staff. They start by doing simple restorative work in their third and fourth year after which they progress to more technique sensitive Restorative Dentistry, Endodontics and Aesthetic work during their final year and rotary internship period.
The postgraduate program aims at producing a highly competent clinician at the end of three year program with unique skills to handle an array of cases. Their training starts with a comprehensive schedule of preclinical exercises and the submission of a synopsis for their main dissertation in the first four months after which they advance towards clinical restorative work, endodontic work, microsurgical work and aesthetic work under operating microscopes and dental loupes by the end of their third year. Along with the profound clinical training, our department is a highly respected research environment. It provides a unique opportunity for students to conduct advanced research and provides many academic opportunities. Daily seminars, journal clubs and case discussions with all the staff of the department form the strong theoretical foundation for them as clinicians.
Our department is a believer of modern times and evidence based dentistry. On an average 40,000 patients are treated annually and has the state of art technology, dedicated staff and infrastructure to render good services to patients The department is equipped with three operating microscopes of high standards, advanced materials and devices like RVG, sonic and ultrasonic irrigation devices, warm obturation equipment, file retrieval systems, and many more avant-garde equipment to provide the best possible treatment to our patients.
Goals of the department
- The primary goal of this Department encompasses the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of sequelae of dental caries and other defects of natural teeth: techniques and procedures to restore the teeth to full function and appearance in an aesthetically pleasing manner with as little loss of the healthy tooth structure as possible
- Performing root canal treatment and associated surgical procedures to rid that tooth and its offending ailments. The treatment provided includes various fillings, root canal treatment, surgical endodontics, bleaching and management of traumatized teeth
- Performing specialized, high-end demanding aesthetic procedures
- To train undergraduate students to a level competent in restoration, rehabilitation and maintenance of the dentition
- To encourage undergraduate students to undertake independent research and to develop an positive outlook to practice innovative treatment protocols
- To train postgraduate students to a level proficiency in the restoration, rehabilitation and maintenance of the dentition; to promote a learning environment through appropriate learning methodologies and assessment tools
- To encourage and promote innovative research and publication
- To promote collaboration with various institutions and disciplines
- To provide optimal supervision of students by well-qualified faculty members through workshop and continued dental education programs
Teaching Programmes offered
Undergraduate Teaching Program:
- Dental Materials (1st BDS and 2nd BDS)
- Preclinical Operative Dentistry (1st and 2nd BDS)
- Clinical training in Operative Dentistry (3rd BDS)
- Theoretical and Clinical training in Operative Dentistry and Endodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry (4th BDS)
- Clinical training in Operative Dentistry, Endodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry (Clinical Rotary Internship)
Postgraduate Teaching Program:
The postgraduate program for master of dental surgery (MDS) was started in the year 2003 with admission of four students per year. The department has grown over the years and as of today, the yearly intake is 8 students per year which includes 5 MDS, 1 PG Diploma, 2 aesthetic certificate students.
The department received recognition in PhD course and has two PhD guides.
|COURSE||INTAKE (per year)|
|Certificate course in Aesthetic Dentistry||2|
Since the commencement of the department, it has been a leader in the field of endodontics, and its current endodontic clinic is one of the most high-tech clinical settings for endodontic instruction and patient care. The services offered in the clinic include:
- Emergency Dental Treatment
- Aesthetic treatment
- Restorative Treatment – Amalgam, GIC and composites
- Inlays/Onlays – metal, ceramic and composite
- Crowns – Metal, Porcelain fused to metal, full ceramic crowns, endocrowns
- Root Canal Treatment
- Endodontic Retreatment
- Endodontic Surgery
- Management of Traumatic Dental Injuries
- Management of Endodontic-Periodontic lesions
- Full mouth Rehabilitation
- Vital Pulp Therapy
- Regenerative Pulp Therapy
- Non-Vital Bleaching
- Vital Bleaching
- Crown Lengthening
The department functions with state of art advanced, equipment. A few features to throw light on are
All procedures are carried out on an appointment basis. Each patient undergoes a preliminary examination conducted by a post graduate student and case discussion happens/discussed with a Faculty member
All procedures are strictly conducted with asepsis protocols according to WHO standards and under rubber dam isolation
The sterilization procedures are conducted four times throughout the day to ensure utmost asepsis
Every patient who is treated by a student is always under the supervision of a staff to ensure high quality treatment for the patients
The postgraduate students conduct a number of procedures, both endodontic and restorative using the operating microscope under high magnification
The department uses advanced equipment like thermoplasticized gutta percha obturation systems, sonic and ultrasonic irrigating devices, RVGs, file retrieval systems and many more leading edge devices to provide the best treatment for our patients and student education
The postgraduates conduct endodontic microsurgical procedures on a regular basis
All crowns and indirect restorations are manufactured in an exclusive state of the art ceramic lab of the department. The lab has a sintering ceramic machine, centrifuge casting machine, vacuum gypsum mixer, vibrator, indirect composite curing unit, lathe, wax burnout chamber and many more top notch laboratory devices that help in the manufacture of top-tire crowns
Since the inception of postgraduate course, the postgraduates have taken part in various symposiums, workshops, poster and paper presentations in both national and international conferences.
The department has published over 100 publications in international and national journals
The department has an extensive library with over 200 books and subscriptions to many pioneer specialty international journals and e-journals of the field
Over 30 CDE programs, webinars and workshops have been conducted to help educate the staff and students of the latest advances in dentistry by having speakers form all over the world.
During the advent of this COVID-19 pandemic, the department has adapted to accommodate aerosol generating procedures during these times. The construction of cubicles and making designated isolated chambers to carry out treatment checks all the boxes for safety of the patient as well as the doctors treating them a priority during these times.
The combined exposure to contemporary clinical technology with fundamental concepts is one of higher education’s greatest challenges. The department of conservative dentistry and endodontics has been a leader in clinical excellence due to its strong yet diverse faculty, a highly collaborative relationship with the other departments of the institution, and is known for it’s world-renowned health care education.
These programs offered by the department achieve this objective through a strong foundation of didactic and clinical courses, which equip students with the necessary knowledge and skills to provide ethical, patient-centered, evidence-based endodontic treatment. The opportunity for clinical and basic science research via close proximity to a leading dental research center further fosters the development of tomorrow’s leaders in the specialty
ENDO SURGERY ROOM
UNDER GRADUATE SECTION
POST GRADUATE SECTION
Periodontology is the speciality of Dentistry that deals with the normal anatomy, pathology and management of diseases affecting the periodontium (supporting structures of the teeth). A Periodontist diagnoses and manages diseases and conditions affecting the periodontium as well as motivates patients regarding preventing the same.
The Department of Periodontology , DAPM RV Dental College, was started in the year 1992. It has been our motto since then to teach students ethical practice, empathy towards patients, principles of sterilization and disinfection, appropriate clinical skills and conducting research. The faculty trains the students using a blended learning approach, combining traditional blackboard teaching and power point presentations with online teaching and assessment.
The Department is well equipped with a soft tissue LASER, implant unit, centrifuge machine and iontophoresis unit.
Teaching Programmes offered
Undergraduate teaching programme:
Periodontology for III BDS and IV BDS
Interns are trained in Clinics; for seminar presentation and towards under graduate research and a mentorship program is followed .
Post graduate teaching programme:
The post graduate (Master of Dental Surgery) course was started in the year 2003 with two seats per year which has been subsequently increased to three seats per year.
Ph.D course: The Department has been recognized as a research center to carry out research work leading to a Ph.D degree from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, from 2015 onwards.
We provide services including oral prophylaxis, inter-disciplinary treatment, surgeries of the periodontium and implant placement on an outpatient basis. The services we offer are as follows:
- Root planing
- Local Drug Delivery
- Gingivectomy and gingivoplasty
- Frenectomy and frenotomy
- Crown Lengthening
- Excision of gingival lesions
- Laser treatment for dentinal hypersensitivity
- Periodontal pocket therapy using laser
- Flap surgeries
- Bone grafting and guided tissue regeneration
- Periodontally Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics
- Mucogingival surgeries
- Implant surgeries
The Department boasts of dedicated faculty who have taught and motivated students to achieve multiple distinctions, ranks and gold medals at both undergraduate and post graduate levels.
Faculty that has guided post graduates to win awards and accolades at PG papers, posters and debates.
Several books and papers have been published, authored by the faculty and post graduates of the Department.
The Department library is well stocked with the latest books .
The Department works as a well oiled machine in conducting under graduate and post graduate programs and patient management. We believe in team work and perseverance.
The vision of the department of Public Health Dentistry is to be recognized as pioneers in innovative educational program, discovery, transfer of scientific knowledge, the highest degree of service to the community.
The mission of the Department of Public Health Dentistry is to achieve excellence in the art and science of dentistry through teaching, research, and service:
- To develop outstanding clinical, research and teaching professionals committed to lifelong learning.
- To provide and promote excellent patient care and community service.
- To discover, disseminate and apply knowledge in the oral health sciences.
- To foster an environment that promotes communication, cultural diversity, and ensures further alignment of the department with the vision and mission of the university.
Teaching Programmes offered
UG Teaching program
- Public Health dentistry in third year and final year of Under graduation
- Community service and social accountability initiatives during internship
- UG research and platform to present during the UG research exposition.
PG Teaching program
The PG program in the department has been in place since 2006. The program encourages students to strengthen their comprehensive patient management work. Synergy and colloquium provide unique platforms for discussion and exchange of ideas.
The department is a recognized PhD centre and has one RGUHS recognized PhD guide
Oral health outreach programs
The department plays a pivotal role in fulfilling the social accountability and responsibility of the institution through its NSS activities. We provide oral health services to the disadvantaged sections of the society through our out reach programs. We work in partnership with NGOs, Civil Societies and other institutions which seek our support to provide oral health services to the disadvantaged sections of the society. We provide Oral health education, dental disease preventive care and simple treatment procedures which are possible at the camp site. We have a fully equipped Mobile dental van with 2 chairs to provide oral health services. Interested personnel may contact us on the institutional telephone number or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comprehensive oral health care
Where in we take care of your overall oral health requirements in consultation with other specialties. The patient is provided preventive care, restorative care which includes endodontic treatment, oral prophylaxis etc.
Oral health services in satellite centres:
3 satellite centres at
- People’s Trust Campus, Sriramanahalli, Doddaballapura Taluk
- Bharath Vikas Parishad Office, Chennenahalli, Magadi Road
- Oral Health Clinic, KSRTC Depot, Jayangar
Student and faculty achievements:
Fellowships – The faculty team has received 4 international fellowships till date in areas of Health Professional Education and Tobacco Cessation from prestigious institutions like Johns Hopkins, WHO Kobe , UCL, London and FAIMER (Foundation for Advancement in International Medical Education Research)
Awards – The faculty, postgraduate students and undergraduate students have won several best paper awards in International and national conferences
Research grants – The department has received 2 ICMR PG research financial grant and 7 ICMR STS grants till date
Scholarly achievements-The UG and PG students have consistently demonstrated academic excellence. They have been rewarded with ranks and gold medals by RGUHS.
Publications- the faculty have worked on diverse fields of interest such as curriculum development and implementation, community oriented research programs, health promotion in schools etc.
Paper presentations – the faculty team have consistently presented research papers at international and national conferences.
Since its inception in the year 1994, the department has endeavoured to impart knowledge and clinical skills to students in the area of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry. The faculty include two professors, one reader and one lecturer with a vast experience in teaching and training dental students. The department is also equipped to take care of all the dental treatment needs of children.
The department has well equipped undergraduate and post-graduate clinics, pre-clinical laboratory, play-area for the children, a sterilization room for instrument sterilization, a department library, a radiology room for taking the radiographs, a special child clinic to cater the special needs of the children. The department also conducts dental camps to reach out to the needy underprivileged children of all segments of society in both urban and rural settings.
Teaching Programmes offered
Undergraduate teaching programme:-
- Pediatric and Preventive dentistry (III and IV BDS). A mentorship system is followed at the undergraduate level.
Post graduate teaching programme: –
- The postgraduate course (Master of dental surgery) was started in the year 2003 with a current admission of 3 seats per year.
PhD course: –
In 2018, the department received the recognition of the PhD course under Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
The several services provided include diagnosis and treatment of oral conditions. A wide range of treatment modalities are offered to both- children and children with special health care needs.
Following are the list of various services offered: –
- Tooth fillings – GIC, Composite, Silver Amalgam, IRM
- Removal of teeth – both simple extractions as well as surgical removal of teeth
- Root canal treatments for primary teeth – Pulpotomy, Pulpectomy, Apexification, Apexogenesis
- Root Canal Treatment for permanent teeth in children
- Treatment of children with traumatic dental injuries including splinting
- Crown restorations for primary and permanent teeth – Stainless steel crowns, Strip crowns, Zirconia crowns; Crowns for permanent teeth.
- Preventive fillings – Pit and Fissure Sealants, Preventive Resin restorations
- Preventive treatments – Topical Fluoride application, fluoride varnish applications,
- Space Maintainers both fixed and removable types
- Interceptive orthodontic treatment – habit correction, correction of developing crossbites
- Minor surgical procedures – Frenectomy, frenotomy,
- Full mouth rehabilitation under general anesthesia for very young children/children with special health care needs
- Counselling for improvement of oral health.
Outreach programmes – The department has been actively involved in an extensive school oral health program providing free incremental dental care for needy underprivileged children in rural and urban areas of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. Beginning in 1994, the department has conducted 1300 dental camps, screened and treated more than 2,50,000 children over a period of23 years. We have adopted the Pubpc- Private – Partnership model, with the unwavering support of our Rashtreeya Sikshana Samithi Trust in association with several philanthropic organizations including Srinivasan Services Trust (TVS Motor Company), IFB Bosch, Sathya Sai Trust, QuessCorp as well as several other individuals and groups. The programme has been recognised by the World Health Organization in their Bangalore Declaration of 2005 during their workshop of Preventive and Promotive Oral Health through Schools.”
It was a proud moment for the department, when one of our department faculty members, Dr. Sudhir R, was recognised by both the India Book of Records (for the year 2020) as well as the Asia Book of Records (for the year 2020) for “Organizing and Conducting the maximum number of free school oral health programmes (1039 dental camps conducted between January 17, 2000 to February 25, 2020) through which 2,25,421 children have been screened and treated) by a Pediatric Dentist.”
The dedicated efforts of the department faculty has resulted in students getting multiple distinctions, ranks and gold medals in both the undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Faculty have guided award winning post-graduate and undergraduate research projects and presentations.
The department has an excellent and well-maintained pbrary consisting of textbooks and atlases, as well as informative CDs.
Research collaborations – In order to faciptate research, the department has research collaborations with Vittal Mallya Research foundation, Hindustan Lever pmited (Hindustan Unilever India pmited) as well as Aristogene Biosciences. Postgraduate students can therefore plan and execute research studies that are in pne with the industrial developments.
Outreach programmes –
The department is involved in extensive outreach to the children in the community, working on the model of Pubpc Private Partnership, paising with other schools and organizations for providing free dental care to children from all segments of society.
Kanchi Kamakoti Child Trust Hospital, Chennai is a specialty hospital providing the entire spectrum of medical and surgical treatment for children. Our postgraduate students are privileged to go as observers to this premier hospital for a month. During this observership period they are exposed to all segments of health services for children including dental treatments under general anesthesia.
Sevakshethra hospital, Bengaluru is the general hospital attached to the hospital where children requiring hospital based dental treatment can be managed. Dental treatment under general anesthesia is provided for children requiring it in this hospital.
Department of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopaedics is well equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure, which offers Post graduate, PG Diploma and PhD programs. We believe in 4D principles which stand for discipline, direction, dedication and determination.
The faculty members are highly qualified and experienced. They are trained from various schools of thoughts of Orthodontics, thereby inculcating the best of all this in teaching and training programs of our department. The staff of the department have travelled widely and have won laurels at various International and National forums for their clinical and research presentations. The department has always strived to teach beyond syllabus, keeping in trend with the current research.
A lot of projects on genetics have been carried out. The department has numerous International and National publications. The department has organized contemporary CDE programs which are well attended and appreciated. The students are trained right from basic to contemporary orthodontic approaches including Lingual , other aesthetic & invisible orthodontic techniques.
Teaching Programmes offered
UG TEACHING PROGRAMME
- ORTHODONTICS: For B.D.S Students
PG TEACHING PROGRAMME
- The Post-Graduate Training Programme was started in the Department in the year 2003 and currently offers 5 M.D.S. & 1 PG Diploma seats per year.
The Department is a RGUHS recognised PhD centre with 4 Guides.
Contemporary Orthodontic Treatments including Functional Appliance Therapy, Fixed Appliance Therapy, Surgical Orthodontics and also Aligner Therapy are offered to the patients availing treatment in the Department.
Employs contemporary treatment techniques of global standards.
Availability of rich Clinical Exposure to students with more than 1000 ongoing treatment cases in the Department.
Strong and well placed alumni
The Department is known for conducting well received CDE’s and Hands-on workshops in contemporary Orthodontic topics.
The Following are the Medical Departments:
Department of Human Anatomy
Human Anatomy is a basic Medical Sciences subject taught usually in the first year of all Health sciences Schools irrespective of the faculty types. The subject deals with the structural organization of all the Human body parts.
Department of Human Anatomy was founded in the year 1992 along with the inception of the DAPM Memorial RV Dental College, Bangalore.
Mainly Anatomy of the Head and Neck is taught in detail to the students of 1BDS class in a Dental College.
Further there are different sections under which the whole of Human Anatomy is studied.
Micro Anatomy is study of Cells and Tissues named as Histology using different types of Microscopes.
Macro Anatomy is Naked eye study of various structures and Organs. It is studied under section Heads of General Anatomy, Embryology, Osteology and Gross Anatomy.
Class room is equipped with smart board which enables optimal use of Multimedia during Theory classes. Anatomy as a subject requires highly illustrative method of teaching to understand hence an extensive use of multimedia with the smart board is a must in every Anatomy Lecture class. The department is WiFi enabled and provided with a laptop and printer copier scanner. In addition to this the faculty members have their own personal laptop. These facilities are used to explore and store the educational resource search and store the same to be utilized during the classes. They are also used for maintaining the records of students attendance and their continuous performance assessments along with administrative documents of the department.
Practical halls of the Department are well equipped with the state of the Art Infra structure.
The Department has ample sets of Micro slides in Histological sections and required number of Microscopes which are well maintained and are of good quality and the same is made available for every student during the practical class.
Processed skeleton and individual Bone sets are available in the Department for demonstration during Osteology classes.
Hand crafted Embryology models are available for demonstrating developmental processes and mile stones.
Dissected specimens of regional dissections and individually dissected specimens are available for prosections and studying Gross Anatomy. These specimens are stored and maitntained in containers with fine grade formalin.
A well updated Departmental Library is available for use of the students and the Teaching staff during the Practical sessions.
At the beginning of an academic year Teaching Anatomy begins with lessons in General Anatomy as it forms the first part of the prescribed Syllabus and also the basis of introduction to all the systems.
Histology initially taught in the Theory class and the same is demonstrated in the practical class with the help of multimedia and microscopic slides. Later the students study the micro slides with the help of Binocular microscopes. They learn to identify the tissues, draw the diagrams in the Histology Manual. This is followed by a detailed discussion and presentation of every slide with extensive interactions among the students and the staff.
General embryology and systemic Embryology is taught as Theory at first and same is demonstrated in Practical classes using Embryology models.
As this is a Dental School Osteology of Skull bones, facial skeleton, jawbone and Vertebrae of the neck is taught in the Theory class and later demonstrated in the Practical classes using the Bone sets.
Gross Anatomy is also taught in the Theory class using smart board and a fine video demonstration of the Human dissection and the same is demonstrated to the students by pro sections in the Practical classes.
Whole of theoretical Anatomy learnt in the Lecture hall is demonstrated in the practical hall, discussed in groups, written and presented by students, finally revised. Topic test and viva are conducted for every topic. 100% of the prescribed Syllabus is not only covered but the students are taught beyond the syllabus too. Before they take up the university exams they take up three internal assessments and their knowledge of Anatomy is substantial and well learnt to clinically apply when they attempt the final examination and pass out of the 1st year BDS.
The Department is highly disciplined and encourages students to be regular to the classes. Prescribed Attendance is a must prerequisite to attempt the university examination. Every student is equally encouraged and counseled for their academic and social well being. Their personal and medical problems will be addressed to individually in the Department.
Department of Physiology
Physiology is a field of science that describes the “Vital” functions of the living organisms and molecules. It forms the foundation to study medicine and the exchange of information between physiology and medicine is a two way street. Medicine borrows its physiochemical principles from physiology. In order to understand medicine physiology forms the reference state. It is important to know the functioning of the healthy person to explore which component may be malfunctioning in a patient.
Medical physiology takes a global view of human body. It deals with the functioning of the human body, which is interdependent. The interdependence begins from the functioning of the individual organ which, in turn depends on how the cell functions that further depends on the interactions among the subcellular organelles and countless molecules. Thus physiology requires an integrated understanding of events at the level of molecule, cell and organ.
About the Department
Department of Physiology at D.A.P.M.R.V Dental College was established in the year 1992. Over years department has grown with experiences and accordingly changes have been done for the efficient working of the department and better performance of the students. The departmental infrastructure including library, well equipped lab, computer aids, overhead projectors and Quiklrn leraning management system for learning and assessment.
We provide Blood pressure examination whenever needed and mentor the students
- Human Physiology For I BDS and
- Basic science for MDS
Highlights of the Department
- Our department has a library with standard recommended text and reference book
- Qualified, committed, dedicated and competent medical faculty
- We have a well equipped laboratory and can accommodate 30 students
Department of Biochemistry
Biochemistry is the application of chemistry to the study of biological processes at the cellular and molecular level. It aims to explore the molecular basis for the physiological changes occurring in living organism and provides explanations for the causes, diagnosis and treatment of many diseases. It is a laboratory based science that enables students to solve biological problems using chemical investigations. The biochemistry department, with a well developed teaching methodology strives to provide in-depth understanding of the subject with special focus on diagnosis and clinical correlation. The department is equipped with several self learning anchor charts and descriptive models to promote visual learning. In addition, a variety of detailed teaching aids such as power point presentations, smart boards, videos are used by the teaching faculty engaged in teaching.
- To impart solid framework for students to learn, apply and appreciate the importance of biochemistry in their future work as healthcare professionals.
- To provide hands on training to student for performing and interpreting routine biochemical investigations
- To develop teaching methodology that foster learning and promotes research
- Undergraduate training for BDS degree
- Post graduate training for MDS degree wherein classes are taken for postgraduate students .
- Teaching -learning evaluation – BDS students
- Teaching, discussions – MDS students
- Student counselling – both academic and personal
- Free medical consultation and advice for students and staff
- Diagnostic laboratory service for routine tests – evaluation and reporting
- Hospital infection control practice – prepares guidelines, conducts training and awareness programmes, vaccination programmes for staff and students, associates in implementing infection control practices and monitors by conducting regular sterility check and waste management in all departments
- Participates actively in Institutional Review Board and Ethics committee meetings as basic medical scientist
Dedicated faculty with required infrastructure and facipties has yielded with multiple distinctions, ranks and medals in the university examination
Student- centric/learner-centric faculty with amalgamated teaching methods (traditional teaching, integrated and innovative teaching-learning methods) with cpnical apppcation/correlation
Help and support to students- Encourages problem based learning, recognise slow learners and fast learners, guide students with special emphasis with regard to preparing for exams, to write assessments and prepare for seminars
Conducts student counselpng regularly – both academic and personal, for overall achievement
Motivates students to participate in curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities in the college
Well maintained Department pbrary – allows students to access books and atlases as and when required to encourage learning
Plays a predominant roll in hospital infection control and waste management
Surveillance of outbreak of any community-based infections